Friday, 8 March 2013

Allotmenteering ....

6 hours later and the orchard on the allotment have been pruned.

4 apple, 2 cherry and 1 pear tree. That equates to my little orchard. Round their roots crocuses are cupped to the sunshine.

I know, I know. I'm late pruning them. I've had from November to February. Funny how the days that I was free the weather was not conducive to pruning, whilst when I was busy the weather was perfect!

'Tis done now.

In addition I have dug and fed manure into bean trenches ready for planting out in May. The canes have been assembled in readiness. Now am I too early or a bit late in this job? Some dig their bean trenches in the Autumn! Others dig them just before they plant. What does that say about me? That maybe I'm undecided and plumped for the middle. But on a practical level, working around the weather and other commitments, I know I will be so busy gardening soon that I need to do as much as I can now to be organised or it won't get done!!

Still to do ... weeding (ever constant weeding), the removal of the very old and cankerous currant bushes and the planting of two rows of raspberry canes.

Oh and to plant seeds and veg (",)

Shoulders and arms aching, debris sticking out of my hair, hands cracked and scratched from the cold and manual labour. "Like sandpaper" I'm told by my eldest as we cross the roads on the way home from school.

It's good to be back on the allotment.

No comments:

Post a Comment